POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : To anyone on the POV-Ray team : Re: To anyone on the POV-Ray team Server Time
1 Jun 2024 20:37:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: To anyone on the POV-Ray team
From: Chris Huff
Date: 8 Jul 2000 16:33:38
Message: <chrishuff-96A1BB.15335408072000@news.povray.org>
In article <B58CD1FD.158B%dav### [at] maccom>, David
<dav### [at] maccom> wrote:

> I was just wondering, how is it going on POV-Ray 3.5/4.0 (and which one)?

Will a TAG member suffice? :-)

POV-Ray 3.5 is being actively worked on. Pretty much all I can say right
now is that it should be out sometime this year. It will contain most of
the patches from MegaPOV, but there will of course be some that won't
make it, due to being incomplete, buggy, not fitting in with planned
features, or just not appearing early enough to be integrated with POV
3.5. Oh, and the Mac version may have a new interface, but I do not have
any information on how it will be different from the current one, or on
the other supported platforms.
Also, the syntax for individual MegaPOV features may change. Many of the
patches in MegaPOV have a clumsy/inconsistent syntax, which could be
greatly streamlined and simplified(the reflection syntax is one example).

As for 4.0...the POV-Team is currently devoting their available time to
getting 3.5 out, so there isn't much to report on it. You can get all
the information there is by reading the message "POV-Ray plans for v3.1
and beyond..." in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/